Latest Updates for Parkside Elementary
The most recent messages will be displayed at the top of this page. Check back often for updates. Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube Channel for video updates.
Hello Parkside Families,
We hope you and your family are doing well. Teachers and other staff are reaching out to students over the next couple weeks via email and phone. Please reach out to them if you haven't heard from them, missed their call, or got an email. We may have been out of the school building, but we have been working hard for all of our students. As we transition to online learning, we don't want any students to miss out. Don't know your teacher's email? Scroll down on this page to the 03/23/20 update for a list of various staff and teachers email addresses.
"I don't have a computer for my child to do online learning!" Don't worry! We are on it!
Parkside Students who do NOT have access to at least one computer for student use, may pick up a Chromebook device at Parkside. We ask that you do not check out a device if you already have a computer at home, since we have a limited number of devices for students who really need them. A parent must sign form to check out a device for your elementary students to share. Families without internet will be given information about a free service from Comcast. If you have children attending other schools, such as Middle School or High School, please check your email for communication from them about days/times for pickup.
K-5 CHROMEBOOK PICK UP AT PARKSIDE
Tuesday 3/31 from 9am-12pm & Wednesday 4/1 from 1pm - 4pm
6-8 CHROMEBOOK PICK UP AT PACIFIC
Monday 3/30 from 1pm-4pm & wednesday 4/1 9am-12pm
STAY CONNECTED VIA YOUTUBE AND PARKSIDE UPDATES!
New this week: Mr. Burt, Ms. Hammer, and Mrs. B.T. have posted some really fun videos for you, so check them out!
Stay Safe and Healthy!
Hello Parkside Families,
We hope this new week is bringing a sense of adjusting to the new normal. We are your school, and we want you to know that we are here to support you and your family as we navigate through the mandated closures. Secondly, we want to extend our personal gratitude and appreciation for Parkside families who are working long hours in essential services such as healthcare, grocery, restaurants, delivery, and other various services. We could not do this without you! Here are a few announcements and info for you.
- If you have need of resources for your family, we invite you to check out the school district website, where you can find a variety of information regarding student meals, food for families, emotional support, and more. https://www.highlineschools.org/coronavirus/coronavirus-news-updates
- If your child is having difficulty dealing with their emotions around coronavirus, or you need help finding additional resources, we also invite you to reach out to our school counselor, Helen Edwards, via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- iReady for Students is available on a variety of computer/tablet platforms. At this time, smart phones cannot access iReady. Students should login for a maximum of 45 minutes a week each for Reading and Math. Here are a few links for you to use with a computer, laptop, iPad, or tablet to access the program.
- iReady on a Computer/Laptop: https://login.i-ready.com/
- iReady on iPad at the App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/i-ready-for-students/id1155613065
- Android Tablet (Kindle, etc.): https://apkpure.com/i-ready-student-app/com.brnby.iready This link is a workaround for families to access iReady from a tablet. Please let us know if it works on your Android device.
- We understand that not all families have a digital device for online learning. The school district has made paper learning packets available for grades K-5, through Wednesday at [some] meal sites. This should give students approximately 2 weeks of learning to do at home. https://www.highlineschools.org/about/news/news-details/~board/district-news/post/meals-for-studentsduring-school-closure There are also a limited number of homework packets available at Parkside during the Free Kid’s Lunch on weekdays from 12:00-12:30pm. First come, first serve. If you have a printer at home or work, you can download the packets here: https://www.highlineschools.org/coronavirus/learning-support/home-learning-supports.
- We understand that maintaining a strong connection between school and your child is vital. In the next few weeks, teachers and/or other school staff will be reaching out to you. If you receive a call from a blocked or unknown number, it may be the school or your child’s teacher calling. If you do NOT receive a call, please email the office staff email@example.com to update your contact information. If you or your student would like to reach out to your teacher or a staff member by email, please see below for their email address.
PARKSIDE STAFF EMAIL LIST
Occupational Therapy Patricia.Pickard@highlineschools.org
Physical Therapy Larcy.Amorelle@highlineschools.org
Speech Therapy David.Ramm@highlineschools.org
PHYSICAL EDUCATION (P.E.)
Office Manager Becky.McLachlan@highlineschools.org
Office Assistant Melanie.Bowman@highlineschools.org
Family Support Chelsie.Colmenares@highlineschools.org
Assistant Principal Rebecca.Williams@highlineschools.org
Instructional Coach Ruth.BaechleGardner@highlineschools.org
School Nurse Stacy.Harris@highlineschools.org
This is not an exhaustive list of Parkside staff. If we’ve missed a staff member you would like to contact, please reach out to the office staff via email.
Hello Parkside Families,
As we continue to navigate these trying times, we want each of you to know that we at Parkside are here for you and your family. Thank you for your patience as our school district is working hard to get information and details out as quickly as possible. We know the connection between your family and the school community is important, and we love our families and our students! While it may look different for some time, we will do our best to keep you connected with timely information brought to you by our friendly staff at Parkside.
We wanted to share a couple videos with you on our new Parkside Elementary YouTube Channel. Be sure to like and subscribe so you and your children don't miss out on video updates. We will be posting additional videos over the next several weeks.
- Here is a video message from our Principal, Bobbi Giammona. Stay tuned for details about the Parkside Fitness Challenge, and be sure to BREATHE deep breaths every day.
- Learn and sing along to our Parkside Elementary School Song, written and performed by Ms. Hammer!
- Did you miss out on getting a non-digital homework packet for grades K-5? These can be picked up at any of the HPS meal sites during the times listed. At the moment, the food bank sites (including Parkside) do not have packets available. We will reach out if this changes. Homework Packets can also be downloaded and printed.
- If you know a parent or guardian who is not receiving emails, please send a request to: firstname.lastname@example.org to update their information. We will need parent name, student name, and current email address.
Stay safe and be healthy!
Parkside Elementary Staff
Here's a special video message from our school principal, Ms. Bobbi Giammona.
Highline Schools are on a mandatory closure through April 24th. Don’t let your student get behind while schools are closed. Please see the attached document for information on how your student can stay on track with their schoolwork at home. Homework by Grade Level English/Spanish. Please visit Online Learning Resources for access to tools. Stay tuned for additional information.
If you do not have internet access at home for your student, there is a low or no cost internet for needy families from Comcast. To sign up, applicants can simply visit www.internetessentials.com. The accessible website also includes the option to video chat with customer service agents in American Sign Language. There are also two dedicated phone numbers 1-855-846-8376 for English and 1-855-765-6995 for Spanish.
Check in with your student and how they are feeling using the Mood Meter below.
There are several "Grab and Go" meal sites & times for children under 18 which will provide both breakfast and lunch. Parkside will also host a meal site through the Des Moines Food Bank from 12:00-12:30pm every weekday. Drive up to the main office in car line. Children 1-18 must be present to receive sack meals. Adults do not have to be present.
For the most updated district and public health information, please check your email daily for communication from the Highline School District or visit the district website. Public Health information updates can be found here.
Stay healthy and safe!
Parkside Elementary Staff